In Joomla 1.5
If you are using Joomla 1.5x do the following:
- Log on to: www.yoursite.com/administrator
- In the top menu select: Extensions > Template Manager
- Now select the template which is marked as default and click Edit
- In the template edit page click Edit HTML
Adding the code within the template
If you have followed the steps above you should now be looking at your template’s HTML.
- Scroll right down to the bottom of all this code
- On the second to bottom line you should see the tag </body>
- You need to paste your Google Analytics tracking code just before this tag
- Now press “save” and Google Analytics is installed on your website!
An alternative way to this which I found just as easy, is to edit the file directly using FTP. I used filezilla.
In the specific template directory just edit index.php directly.