When opening Microsoft Outlook, an error message is displayed. The exact error message varies between Outlook versions, but will be similar to one of the following:
The add-in D:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\scanemal.dll could not be installed or loaded
The add-in C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfeeVirusScan\scanemal.dll could not be found
Unable to load C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scanemal.dll You may be out of memory out of system resources, or missing a dll.file
Could not load plugin C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\Scanemal.xxxxxxx.dll
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Scanotlk.dll
The Add-in “Outlook Scan” (C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Scanotlk.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Uninstall the Add-in if no update is available.
The add-in C:\McAfee\8.5i\Scanotlk.dll could not be installed or loaded.
The Add-in “Outlook Scan” (C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Scanotlkl.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an
update. If no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in.
Remove the Exchange Scan Add-in via Outlook
To remove the Exchange Scan Add-in:
1. Open Microsoft Outlook.
2. From the menu click Tools, Options.
3. Click the Other tab.
4. Click Advanced Options.
5. In the lower part of the window click Add-in Manager .
6. Uncheck Exchange Scan.
7. Click OK until all windows are closed.
8. Close and reopen Outlook.
For Outlook 2007:
1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2007.
2. Click Tools, Trust Center, add ins.
3. Located in the bottom right corner is the option Manage.
4. From the the drop-down list, select Exchange Client Extension and click Go.
5. In the Add In Manager window, deselect Exchange Scan and click OK.
6. Close and re-open Outlook.