So your print spooler keeps crashing. Chances are you applied a windows update to one of your HP printers.
I had this issue today on Windows 2008 R2, since I installed updates last night. Specifically a driver update for the following printer:
HP Color LaserJet M553
When I got in this morning after the first person printed to it , it crashed the print spooler on the server.
Since you have a corrupt/bad driver you need to remove it, however you can’t because the print spooler won’t start its a catch 22. The fix is this… (Backup your registry first please, I am not responsible for any damages)
- Keep the print spooler stopped.
- Backup Registry – Click on computer>>File>>Export>>
- Edit>>Find>>type M553 in the search box.
- Click find next
- Every time you come across something on the left side right click and delete the key.
- F3 to find next and repeat this process until you delete all keys associated with the “M553” printer.
- After your done start the print spooler. (It should now keep running)
- Reinstall the network printer and use the latest driver from HP
Also note that if any of your users computers connected to the printer after the update then you will also need to do this on their systems as well since more than likely their print spoolers are crashing as a result of the new driver as well.
You can use the same method to fix other print spooler issues as a result of driver updates. If you have a corrupt driver or bad driver as a result of a windows update you can use this same technique. You need to make sure you remove any keys associated with the printer and then you can reinstall it and it will work fine. Again using the search in the registry.
Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17777, time stamp: 0x4f35fc1d
Faulting module name: hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll, version: 22.214.171.124, time stamp: 0x5553b101
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c312a
Faulting process id: 0x1554
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0dc0aa4bd5170
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll
Report Id: e969f0cf-47fd-11e5-8a98-9c8e990f7680